In home management children are taught the various aspects of good house keeping that include home management, food preservation, first aid, flower arrangement, baking and even budgeting the cost of food, besides practical lessons on food preservation, health and hygiene. This activity is conducted in the hostel of National Bal Bhavan where camping facility is also provided to the children.
The basic objectives of Home Management are:
· To make children self-reliant.
· To make them aware of the importance of healthy and nutritious food.
· To make children realize that health, hygiene and sanitation are as important as eating good and nutritious food.
· To make children understand that management is an integral part of cooking.
· To develop the right kind of food habits in children.
· To let children understand the chemistry of the kitchen.
· To inculcate in children a feeling of respect for others and the importance of working in harmony.
· To indirectly instill in them values such as cooperation, helping others and dignity of labour.
· To develop aesthetic sense in them by making them understand the importance of good presentation of their dishes at the dining table.
Home management offers children ample scope for learning about the different branches of science. For instance, they learn a part of zoology while learning about the anatomy, the digestive system and metabolism. Knowledge of plants and trees falls under botany and the transformation of one type of energy into another by the use of heat relates to physics and chemistry. In fact, our kitchen is a live laboratory in which different chemicals are available, different types of chemical reactions and physical changes take place, different types of equipment are used to perform different tasks. Bal Bhavan offers the children full liberty to prepare innovative dishes, thus helping them become self-reliant. In this activity, children are also encouraged to develop their own kitchen gardens and grow seasonal vegetables.